When it comes to choosing a coach, it is easy to become overwhelmed with all the choices in front of you. In an unregulated industry, it is important to do your due diligence and research your coach before committing to work together. Researching and deeply considering who is the perfect fit for you is an important first step to your coaching journey. It not only reflects your readiness to commit to the process, but also helps you create clarity on the outcomes you want from your investment.
This commitment is the start of long-lasting change for you – the first step to any behaviour change begins with awareness. Getting clear on what you need from the coaching relationship and process deepens your awareness around your own needs, what style and approach works for you, and how you define success.
How do I know if a coach is right for me?
Before we go any further into creating your short list, ask yourself a few questions about your readiness to leap into coaching.
Here’s our list of prompts (plus a handy free tool at the end of this blog) to help gauge:
- Why is now the right time for coaching?
- What do I want to achieve from a coaching relationship?
- What might I need from my coach?
So, grab a pen and paper and let’s get started! Firstly, ask yourself:
Am I ready for coaching?
- Why is now the right time for me to begin coaching?
- Which coach/es do I resonate or align with? List 3 or 4. Am I clear on why I resonate with them? List any thoughts or reasons around these choices.
- What can I afford? (financially and time)
- What self-development have I done before? What has or has not worked for me?
What’s the right coaching style for me?
Reflect on the coaches you’ve shortlisted and ask yourself the following:
- Do I want a coach who does more of what has worked for me in the past?
- Does a coach that pushes me into uncomfortable places of growth, and whose style might be disruptive, agitating, challenging, or different to what I’ve done before, appeal?
- Or do I want a supportive cheerleader, who equips me with the tools and empowers me to do my own work more appealing?
- What is important for you to see in terms of conduct, communication, behaviour and values in your coach?
What outcomes do I want from the coaching process?
- If you had to pick one thing that you feel is holding you or your business back right now that you think coaching could help with, what would it be?
- What are the outcomes you want to achieve from coaching? List them into the categories of self and career/business. Again, go back to your shortlist of coaches and consider who might be able to meet these outcomes.
- How will you know that coaching has been successful? Imagine 12 months from now, what would your success look and feel like?
As with everything in life, the more strategic and mindful your decision is, the greater your chances are of finding the right person for the right job.
Couple this analysis with data that your gut instinct is providing. You now have your wish-list, you’re clear on your aspirations and you know what you’re looking for in a coach. Download our quick Coaching Evaluation Tool to discover which coach is going to deliver, and get ready to make some big shifts in your life, business, leadership approach and skillset.
Questions, queries, comments? Feel free to connect with me.
I hope this helps you find your place of greatest impact.
Craft is led by Melbourne based coach and consultant Ami Summers.
Ami has spent more than a decade as an accredited coach and leadership development consultant.
Clients that have worked with Ami consistently say she is a compassionate, wise and deeply pragmatic coach with a gift for empowering the individual or business owner to see they have the resources to transform themselves and the world around them.
She is accredited and experienced to deliver a number of diagnostic tools to help unlock an individual or teams capability and strengths.
Craft’s main focus is to deliver valuable business results whilst bringing out the best in an individual or business. We do this by sharing creative leadership tools that are typically only available to large corporates. We offer individual coaching, leadership development consulting services, group mentoring and small business coaching. Get in touch if we can help you bring more insight into your business.